Niacinamide is an ingredient receiving some well earned attention lately in skin care. Studies have been conclusive that niacinamide has numerous skin benefits. If your skin care does not include a product with niacinamide, you might consider adding one.
Niacinamide, vitamin B3, can be applied topically (ideally at least a 5% concentration) to skin once or twice a day for the following benefits:
- Decrease moisture loss by increasing barrier function
- Improve cellular communication
- Fade hyperpigmentation
- Increase Collagen
- Increase skins elasticity
- Decrease acne
- Decrease inflammation
- Fade the skin discoloration acne blemishes can leave behind
- Decrease redness associated with Rosacea
- Decrease oxidative damage (similar to an anti-oxidant)
- Increase cellular turnover
A house favorite here at TOC Medical Spa is Skinceuticals® Metacell Renewal B3. This daily corrective moisturizer has 5% niacinamide, 2.5% tri-peptide concentrate and 15% glycerin. I can safely say that every staff member here is using this at least once a day if not twice a day. Most of us are on our 3rd and 4th bottles. It is emollient without being heavy feeling at all and works well under makeup during the day.
You will likely see niacinamide popping up more and more in skin care products, and hopefully this review will help you understand why 🙂